Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Blog-Tography

I didn't make note in the entry from earlier today (and need to learn how to watermark my own photos), but the two shots of the Canova Terpsichore were indeed taken by me.

I'm going to try any feature more of my own work here both as a showcase and, I hope, encouragement for me to learn more about the fantastic cameras I own.  By no means am I a professional at what I do, but I've learned a lot about taking good pictures over the last few years.

In the summer of 2009, shortly before Pentax moved onto their (then) new flagship DSLR camera, the K-7, I was able to pick up the K20D at a pretty fantastic price.  Truly, it's been one of the best Christmas presents I've ever received, early as it was.  It's an impressive machine that I, to this day, probably don't know use half of.  Needless to say, I hope to change that.

While I don't own the impressive, but frighteningly expensive lens ($1,500, anyone?) that's attached to this downloaded photo, I do have the 18-55 mm Pentax lens that came with the kit, a 55-300 mm Pentax lens, and have recently acquired a Tamron af28-80 mm aspherical lens on eBay for the stupidly low price of $30 plus shipping.

The bulky bit on the bottom, the detachable battery grip, allows for storage of a tiny, chewing gum stick-sized shutter remote control, an extra memory card, and a second high-capacity battery.  In addition to that, it has a shooting button mounted for taking vertical pictures with ease.

Last Christmas, I received the Pentax AF360 FGZ flash that aids in taking better night shots.  Alas, my working knowledge of it is even more limited than that of the camera.

When it comes to everyday photography, the majority of the shots that you might see on here will have been taken on a Canon PowerShot Elph 300 that entered my collection back in May.  I've had three Canon compacts and, after an unfortunate interlude with a sub-par quality Nikon compact, intend to stay with Canons for my everyday work where it's just not possible to take the big camera.

Taking great pictures is more than just a hobby for me.  During college, I was the on-call photographer for anything silly that was going on in the hallway, times when friends gathered, at sports events, and just hanging out.

Photos, for me, are memories.  They crystallize those moments you might otherwise forget.  Whether a Friday night on the town or the big moments in life, it's always worthwhile to tote your camera along.  You never know when an insignificant night might turn into a memorable one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment